Kohn and Classroom Tour Video - Reflection

 


    In Alfie Kohn's "What to Look for in a Classroom" many 'good signs' and 'reasons to worry' in regards to a classroom environment are listed. For example, sounds, teachers' voice, class discussion, stuff and location of teacher. I have many ideas and connections to this article. First and foremost, I have been a student for going on fifteen years now and have spent a majority of my time in a classroom. Secondly I spent my senior year of high school on an internship in an elementary school special education classroom so I was able to see the elementary level from a teaching perspective as well. Lastly, I am now completing my in school tutoring/mentoring position through Inspiring Minds. So overall, I've had my fair share of time in classrooms, leaving me with a lot of experience in the classroom environment. The points brought up by Kohn closely reflect my experiences as well. For example, sounds in classroom and class discussion. Throughout my time in school I often had teachers who tried their best to encourage students to be silent during class and did not have many class discussions regarding assignments. On the contrary, I've noticed that during my time spent in classrooms as an intern that small group discussions and a quiet buzz in the classroom is more encouraged which I think is wonderful! Students feeling as though their voices are valued and ideas are respected in the classroom is very important to the overall classroom environment. 

    On the topic of classroom environment I have personal connections to this topic as I had spent last semester creating a research project in regards to how classroom environments affect student success (Link to interview based section of project: "How Does School Climate and Environment Affect Students Ability to Succeed?" and link to the video essay section: "Why That One Teacher Mattered So Much" both made by me) . I held interviews with multiple people regarding their experiences in the classroom, compiled articles to back up my claims with evidence and created a video essay finally compiling all of my work. This was a semester-long endeavor and took lots of time and sort of became a passion project! I learned a lot from my time with this project in regards to classroom environment and student teacher relationships and how important they are to overall student success, and that closely aligns with what Kohn states in the article.



Comments

  1. Hi Rayne! I completely agree with you about how having a classroom with some light chatter is beneficial and I love how you said it makes them feel like their voices are valued and respected. I think it is really important for building students confidence in speaking so they are able to better communicate in their future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rayne! I love the video you created about how teacher relationships and classroom environments matter when learning. I agree with the point you made about how if teachers were encouraging and motivating you felt more inclined to do well in that class and you felt more of a connection with the teacher. The way the teacher creates and sets the environment is super important for how kids perceive school and how well they learn. Chatter and engaging with other students and the teacher is so important!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts